Virginia Satir's Five Freedoms
Virginia Satir (1916-1988) was an American psychotherapist and author, known especially for her approach to family therapy.
- The freedom to see and hear what is here, instead of what should be, was, or will be.
- The freedom to say what you feel and think, instead of what you should.
- The freedom to feel what you feel, instead of what you ought.
- The freedom to ask for what you want, instead of always waiting for permission.
- The freedom to take risks in your own behalf, instead of choosing to be only "secure"
and not rocking the boat.
Humanistic / Existential
Age / Client Focus